Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets and peeled stems
- Half a head of Roasted garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Bacon , cooked crisp for garnish
- Parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese for garnish
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and saute onion and celery until tender. Add red pepper flakes, roasted garlic, broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Don’t over process or it will be runny. You can also leave a few chucks for more texture.
In small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup. If it’s still not as thick as you would like, stir in some room temperature cream cheese. Season with pepper and serve.