Spinach and Chorizo Stuffed Bell Peppers over Steamed Barley and Roasted Tomatoes
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded, Use red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- chopped fresh parsley
- chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups steamed cooked barley
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo until almost brown. Drain fat. Stir in celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, basil, steamed cooked barley, and water. Cover, and simmer until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and mix in Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Mozzarella cheeses.
- Place peppers upright on a baking sheet. Stuff each pepper with the chorizo mixture. Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
- Sprinkle top with seasoned bread crumbs .Cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes.
Steamed Barley with Roasted Tomatoes
2 cups uncooked Barely
2 pints grape tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup thinly slice scallions
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 chopped parsley
Steam the barley as directed on the package using a stock for the liquid
Toss tomatoes in olive oil and roast at 375 degrees until tomatoes begin to caramelize.
Toss the roasted tomatoes with their juices, cooked barley, onions , parsley and garlic together. Salt and pepper to taste and add enough balsamic vinegar to taste.
Use as a bed for the cooked stuffed peppers.